Dear Parents & Caregivers
The Minister for Education and Training, the Hon Sue Ellery and the Minister for Child Protection and Community Services, the Hon Simone McGurk yesterday announced the new high caseload protocols specifically for school and childcare settings. Last night, I received an email from Catholic Education Western Australia regarding these settings.
As of tomorrow, Wednesday 9th February 2022, the following will take effect:
• Parents will be permitted on school grounds for drop-off and pick-up in outdoor locations only. Therefore at St Peter’s, we will run with Kiss and Drop at the door for Kindy and Pre Primary. We encourage students from Pre Primary to Year 6 to utilise our Kiss and Ride procedure which commences at 8am. All parents must adhere to the Kiss and Drop, at the door. Our upstairs classes can become quite congested in the corridors so I ask parents to avoid this area, along with the area outside Year 1 and Year 2, and communicate via See Saw, email or phone. Consequently, parents are not to visit classrooms. Students are to walk in independently or say goodbye to their parents at the Kiss And Ride.
• A parent should only attend the school office in the event of a significant pastoral or welfare issue related to their child. Wherever possible, interactions by staff with parents should take place over the phone or via email.
• Gatherings of parents on school sites should be avoided. Therefore at Drop Off and Pick Up, we cannot have groups of parents gathering outside classrooms. All P&F events are postponed under these current guidelines.
• Parent-teacher interviews are not to occur in a face-to-face format. Given this, our Parent Teacher meetings on Monday 28th March will take place via phone calls. The school will still maintain the early close (Kindy 12pm, PP 12.15pm and Years 1-6 12.25pm) and interviews will commence from 1pm. Thankfully, we were able to complete our Parent Information Evening prior to these new settings.
• Merit Assemblies will continue via TEAMS. Year 6 Leaders will run our assembly via TEAMS. Children will remain in their class groups, the Merit Award will be announced by Leadership, and the Merit Award will be handed to the student in the classroom. A photograph will be sent to the proud family and TRUE awards will be announced. Performance assemblies will be postponed until these settings change.
• The Library will be closed at Recess and Lunch to minimise the interaction of children across class groups, in the indoor space. Children will still have access to the Library in their allocated class time.
As mentioned in my previous correspondence, I will keep you fully aware of the latest information regarding changes to school procedures as soon as the information becomes available. The landscape is continually changing and we are endeavouring to move with it in a child-focused manner.
Every Thursday, I will provide an update on events in the term planner for the following week. This then allows us to be as agile as possible in maintaining events within the settings outlined by WA Health.
Attached to this information is the latest Testing and Isolation procedures outlined by the Department of Health – Testing and Isolation Protocols
Previously, our efforts to provide a safe and healthy school environment over the past 2 years have been successful because of the generous support of parents and community members. I thank you for your continued support as we act on advice from the WA Government and CEWA to ensure a Christ- Centred and Child Focused education at St Peter’s.
Stay Healthy, Stay Safe and Stay United!!
Mrs Pina Hutcheson
8 February 2022